Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympics craze...

19th Aug 08

Currently the 'IN' thing. Olympics Beijing 2008.

An event which even Mr. Lee postponed his 'talkshow'. You can imagine how much attention was drawn towards it.

From passing of torch, which started out quite terrifying for the runners. Suspected b*mb found around Beijing. Till now, we all witnessed how Singapore finally break medal drought for 40+years. Got astonished how my swimming idol, Michael Phelps rise up to the occasion to grab all 8 Gold medals.

For me, I deliberately miss 'Old man running on wall' event on the Opening day. I really get started off watching the Olympics, starting from Swimming events. From Men's 400m Individual Medley Final to the last event Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final. He is surely a prodigy of Swimming.

In the last Olympics, I watched (i rank) All-time greatest event,


2004 Athens Olympics Men's 200m Freestyle Final.

Flying Dutch dolphin, Pieter van den Hoogenband


Aussie Torpedo, Ian Thorpe


Upcoming American star, Michael Phelps




I was actually craving for a second helping for this event. Unfortunately, Ian Thorpe retired. Pieter van den Hoogenband isn't any younger for these events. Phelps domination, swept almost every events. Truly a great all-round swimmer we have ever come across. When the papers reported, The only one who can beat Phelps is he himself. I wonder, what if Thorpe hasn't retired? The world ever cast a line like this on Swiss Tennis King, Roger Federer. But now? Presently, we can only hope for a Nadal or Djkovic to appear in the pool, challenging this 'God of Swimming'.


The next event I follow, (isn't table tennis). Basketball!! Although this US Dream 8 Team form by NBA All-stars, seem invincible (close your eyes also know they will win Gold), I still happily watch the matches of them versus China and Spain.

Third sport, I TRIED to follow is Women Volleyball (Tv seldom show lehz). But today result, shows that I need not have to follow anymore. Coz Russia which is the team I supported for years have been beaten by China... *Sighz.. Starting from 2002, when there is a sport channel set up by Mediacorp, they showed some Women Volleyball World Championship. I was attracted to the Russian team formed by a few pretty and tall ladies!! (But not as pretty as Sharapova!!) I simply love the way how they attack by using their biggest advantage, Height. It was always an exciting match to watch them facing Brazil, Cuba and USA.

I especially like this player, Lioubov Chachkova. She is regards as one of the Greatest All-round player in the World of Volleyball. Thinking that this could be her last chance for an Olympics medal, I was hoping they are able to create another history of getting into the Finals like 2004 Athens Olympics. But today results send all hopes crushed.. What is left is past memories..



Ya!! Another one! Diving!! But I only watch events that feature the beautiful China's diving queen, Guo Jing Jing!! *LoL!!!



Lastly, I just wanna say this: They won it, Yes, they did. BUT!! I will be

supporting SG Olympics winner provided they are born at K.K Hospital. Call me a stubborn, old fella. I will only say it's good buy, but I'm not buying it. Apologies..

No comments: