Thursday, July 24, 2008

Red Cliff - 赤壁

24 July 08

Yesterday morning I went Polyclinic to check on my aching back. After lunch, I went over Plaza Singapura redeem my free ticket (points earned by UOB card) at Golden Village.

So this is the day where I watch, which I feel, is the most entertaining movie taken from China history, "Romance of the Three Kingdom".

Brought my popcorn, sat down and muach away, preparing for this 2.5hrs movie. Heard from a few friends saying that, the movie was really draggy, and it ended before boats were even burnt. But I feel it is certainly a good attempt by John Woo. How the characters interact (some funny scenes between Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro), how the storyline move, the feeling of is better as compared to other asian directors.

How the generals of both armies crashed, how swift and cool those characters handle the weapons were really nice! It seems like watching real-life "Dynasty Warriors" (A action game featured on PS3, XBox & Windows XP.) Added to that, the casts were nicely fitted into the characters.

But it is a pity that those famous characters, e.g. Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, weren't those more well-known actors. I was actually daydreaming about Andy Lau as Zhao Yun *LoL!! Think the reason is those characters camera roll time isn't that much, imagine hiring those well-known actors, in the end you get a hard time thinking about how to fit them in, how to increase their on-screen timing. Wages paid is also a problem.

Well, overall, it is a biggest and more worthwhile watching chinese movie. But one thing to ponder a thought, in view of the huge amount spent, if audiences managed to sleep in cinema, this is simply a big failure. I feel this worth watching during Fridays but without your popcorns.




No comments: